All good gifts around us
Are sent from Heaven above..
So thank the Lord, oh thank the Lord for all his love..

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Eating the Rainbow

I recently discovered The Farm Bus. Aside from the food being a superior choice ethically (eating local supports the local economy, gives more money directly to the farmers-not big business, is more or less guaranteed free of GMOs, uses a smidgeon of fuel, travels in terms of minutes rather than days, is sprayed with hardly any pesticides and comes from earth that hasn't been depleted and exploited), the food fresh from the garden is delicious. There's nothing like it. Boom! Bam! Flavor! I haven't had to use hardly any spices, sauces or herbs these past two weeks.

Another plus to eating local (right now we're at the as-local-as-possible level) is that our family is eating a wider variety of foods. You *have* to eat the radishes- they came in your veggie box. They're in season. They're fresh, they're local. They're surprisingly good.  I wouldn't have tried them if I had the world's choices before me in the grocery store. But now, I bought them. So, I go for it- but not before asking for some recipes on my facebook page.

 Eat the rainbow!





Our salad was the "side" to go along with sauteed asparagus and spicy sausage,
all purchased from Farm 2 Family.


Our first veggie box included: Red Leaf Lettuce, leeks, 2 types of mushroom, radishes, strawberries, Golden Delicious apples, Swiss Chard, asparagus. 9 varieties of fresh produce for $30. That works out to $3.33 per food. Marvelous!

We're on day 5 and still have some fresh veggies left over. Anything that goes bad in the process gets composted, but not before the okay-ish bits get cut off and fed to the chickens. Nothing gets wasted- it either becomes fertilizer for the garden to produce more food, or goes into our chickens to become eggs.

Speaking of chickens, the other day our white one, Merryweather, gulped down a snake. She's the same chickie that went after a pit bull. She's no joke.

Anyway, I can't wait to get more veggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.