The boys are resting right now after their big morning of outdoor activity. Going out with them reminds me of how simple and fun life is. Leviathan ran here, there, everywhere and nowhere in a very adorable toddler sort of way, while Jet asked a million questions in a very adorable pre-schooler sort of way.
I found a variety of chores while they wandered and explored. I water the seeds after an embarrassing struggle with the hose (the hose won, I used a watering can), picked up some bits of trash around the yard. Then I set my kale out to harden off before planting (grow, kale, grow!) and stretched my arms out every time the breeze picked up. I guess that last one's not a chore, just a weird thing I like to do.
The morning's soundtrack included birds chirping and singing, honeybees buZZing around the peach tree's blossoms, chickens squawking -not the most relaxing of noises-, Jet's chattering and Leviathan's few but consistent words. And one other sound... a constant meow. Out came the cat to explore with us!
Well, not with us. Just near us until he found something better to do- like chase a brown leaf blowing towards the ditch and then unsuccessfully hunt a bird. Since he was down by the road and I keep the kids towards the back yard as much as possible, I let the jungle-cat do his thing and led the kids to the tire swing.
The day stretched into the afternoon. We popped inside for an epic lunch: peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and then back out to see if we could locate the missing kitty.
"Jet, where's Ringo?"
"I don't know. I think the chickens ATE him!"
I have no real reason for writing this today other than to express how much I love these little moments and these kinds of days. Part of my ponderings while I putzed around the yard was how little of our life we actually remember. The day-to-day routines and the choresy parts and the time when Ringo the Cat went *missing* for nearly an hour when he was actually under the shed probably napping. Remember when Leviathan threw rocks for 20 minutes and called everything "blue" regardless of it's color? Remember when Jet insisted that the chickens ate the cat (morbid, but yet adorable), and smiled so sweetly when he asked if I was married to Daddy?
Truth is, I wouldn't. I'd remember big moments, wedding days, family vacations, and birthday parties. But this part of life that I love so much, this part that takes up the bulk of my time, it just slips past me and it's gone.
As for man, his days are like grass;
As a flower of the field, so he flourishes.
When the wind has passed over it, it is no more,
And its place acknowledges it no longer.
But the lovingkindness of the LORD is
from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear Him,
And His righteousness to children’s children,
To those who keep His covenant
And remember His precepts to do them.
Psalm 103:15-17
This seems a bittersweet end to a lovely day. It's not meant to be. I try to be in the moment, in the day, experiencing it as it comes to me. I want to hold this time with my sons close to my heart, but not obsess over it and let it paralyze me from embracing tomorrow. I'm blessed in so many ways and I hope I'm forever aware of God's goodness to me, day by day.
***
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.