All good gifts around us
Are sent from Heaven above..
So thank the Lord, oh thank the Lord for all his love..

Monday, April 9, 2012

Small Celebrations

Last Sunday was Easter. I plopped some eggs in various bushes around the yard and watched the boys hunt them. 2 boys, 27 eggs (2 remained unfound until this morning), 10 minutes. Done. Then came the feasting. 



"Momma! Take a picture of my candy!" 

It didn't take long for them to distrust the Jelly Bellys. And who can blame them? I've said it once, I'll say it again- those suckers taste how shampoo smells. Yum, let's chow down. Or spit them out, saliva coated and half chewed, in a blob on the concrete. As long as you miss mommy's yoga mat, all is fine.



The stickers were not a hit. What was I thinking? M&Ms or stickers? Stickers discarded. They're now stashed in my purse for desperate moments at the grocery store.




Honestly, holidays are not a big deal for our family. We're not against them, and I get why others get involved and love the festivities. But to us, making a big deal over Christmas, New Year's, Valentines, Easter... even birthdays... they just don't make sense.

I guess our family style gravitates toward taking simple moments throughout the days and week to celebrate, to draw attention to, to be thankful for. 

I love snuggling up on my purple chair, listening to NPR whilst crocheting some squares and slurping my coffee.

I love just sitting outside and watching the birds swoop and soar, hearing the wind woosh through the leaves and seeing them dance across the brilliance the blue sky is offering today. 

I love interviewing Jet and having no idea what answers he'll be shooting out today. 
"Hey, Jet, what are you thinking about?"
"Mm, I was just thinking about how beautiful the sky is. Look at that, Momma! Is that a blue sky?! Yes, it is!!" and then off he dashes, to go dig in the dirt and wack at my azaleas with sticks.

I love resting in bed and opening my eyes to Leviathan's pitter-patter feet slapping across the floor. I love seeing his eyes bright and dazzling and the grin that breaks on his face as he exclaims, "Mom-MA!" I love that his only reason for popping in the room is to give me a hug, receive a kiss, and then he gleefully scampers off.

I love when Seth comes home for the day and immediately insists we go for a walk. I love walking with Seth and talking with Seth about altogether everything and nothing. 

I love the energetic buzz that fills my house just after I've cleaned it all day and just before friends and visitors arrive. 

I love driving with the windows down, the sun shimmering across everything, the smell of Virginia in spring, and the breeze making my hair a disgraceful mess. 

I love doing yoga outside. That doesn't happen enough. But it happened on Sunday.


(Plank...

 Upward facing dog...

Downward facing dog.)

The world is beautiful upside down. Everything looks bigger and somehow the colors become dazzling. Just something else to celebrate.

"The heavens are telling the glory of God;
and their expanse is declaring the word of His hands."
Psalm 19:1


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.